Chrome has so many issues which you never see in other browsers. Although Google Chrome is a very reliable internet browser, it is prompt to face errors once in a while. The error is mostly easily fixable with some configuration in your windows PC and laptop. So today we are going to talk about one such google chrome error which most of the chrome users are facing, and that is the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error.
You might be familiar with the phrase “This webpage is not available”, and if you have ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error, then the same phrase will appear on Google Chrome. This is a Google chrome error which occurs when there is a problem with your PC or laptop while you initially tried to establish a private connection with a website which is secure. ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch, this error is related to “SSL Certificate” security.
How to Fix ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch Error in Chrome?
If the term SSL is not your familiar term, then it is better to know that “SSL Certificate” is. SSL stands for “Secure Sockets Layer”. SSL Certificate is a website security system which provides various functions such as securing your websites and encrypted connection between the user and the website the user is visiting. SSL is a protocol which is made to encrypt connections between the users and the websites.
Web pages are responsible for having sensitive data over the internet, and that is why people normally use SSL Certificate. It is like a Credit card details or some login information like your passwords.
When do you face the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error?
Well, the error mostly occurs when you are trying to access to a bank website and try to make a transaction regardless of how big or small the transaction is. But the error occurs not only with bank related things, but it also occurs randomly while surfing the internet. So it can be any website that you have visited before which is causing this error lately.
Well, whatever the reason is, I’m here to help you solve this issue with this helpful article. Keep reading this article until the end to secure your chrome browser and have a great browsing experience in the future.
Troubleshooting Computers Setting
SSL certificates are being downloaded when you surf the internet on chrome. It downloads the secure sockets layer from the websites with SSL security. This process is known as Caching SSL Certificates.
Sometimes your computer system downloads the corrupted SSL certificate, and that is one of the reasons why you are having ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error. This issue can be fixed easily with some minor steps.
You can easily remove the corrupted the SSL certificate from your computer. The method includes some features that you need to turn off and to clear of saved Cache certificates stored in your browser and your computer.
Changing Security Setting In Chrome
Here are the steps to change the security settings in chrome
- Using your PC or laptop where you are having the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error, open up the google chrome browser and type this URL in the address bar “chrome;//flags”.
- Now simply press enter, and the internal hidden settings page will open up in google chrome browser.
- Look for the option “Minimum SSLv3 version support” in the internal hidden settings page.
- Change it to “SSLv3” and after setting it to “SSLv3”, restart your computer and check whether it resolves the problem.
Don’t worry if the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error does not resolve with changing of the security settings because there are other methods to solve this error. Just follow the instructions carefully, and you will be surfing on the internet without any issue or whatsoever.
Disable QUIC protocol in Google Chrome
QUIC is a protocol for the experiment, and it supports mixed connections over UDP. QUIC stands for Quick UDP Internet Connection. It is basically designed to provide security equivalent to TLS/SSL. It also provides security protection for reduced connection and transport latency.
You can install an extension called “spdy http2 indicator extension” to whether a website is using a QUIC protocol or not. Nowadays some websites are not filtered, and they use QUIC protocol. These websites are not standard SSL Protocol and are not filtered by MITM (certificate is not signed by MITM)
So here are the steps to disable QUIC protocol in Google Chrome
- Using your PC or laptop, open google chrome and Copy paste this URL into the address bar of your chrome browser. “Chrome//flags” without quotes.
- Now inside the flags tab, look for “Experimental QUIC protocol”, and you have select the disable option.
- Now use endpoint security Firewall rule and create a firewall application rule blocking chrome. You have to open the policy on PC or laptop where you are having the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error.
- Add “application firewall Rule” on chrome.exe.
- Check Any on both “local’s Address” and “Remote Address”.
- In the Port or port range section of the Remote address, type “443”.
- Now save the setup.
So this is how you can disable your google chrome browser and if this solution does not make your work any easier then move on to the next solution.
Clearing SSL certificate Cache
Clearing the SSL certificate cache can fix most of the chrome issues which includes the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error as well. So you can try this solution see if it resolves the problem.
- In order to clear SSL cache, you need to go to your control panel. Go to start and click on “Control Panel”.
- You can also go to control panel by going to windows explorer. There will be “open control Panel”, click on it and control panel will open.
- Inside control panel, look for “Internet Properties” and double-click on it to open.
- Now go to “Content” section in order to clear SSL cache.
- Now click on “clear SSL state” and then click “OK”.
This will clear all the SSL certificate cache from your computer, and you can try to re-open google chrome and see if this method resolves the problem.
Repairing or Clean Junk Windows Registry
Your windows registry is the main administration of your computer, and you may be having issues with your windows registry due to poor maintenance of your personal computer system maintenance. The issue with windows registry can create the error such as the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error in future.
Your registry files and windows files can also be corrupted when you install a corrupted software from untrusted websites. Well whatever is causing the problem, you need to install a great registry cleaner on your PC to clean all the unwanted junk from your computer. Cleaning of junk can literally solve the error you are having with google chrome.
If you are not familiar with junk cleaner, then it is a tool to clear all the unwanted files which can cause problems in your system. It keeps your computer safe & sound.
Here are my recommendations which can definitely get the job done.
- Zookware Cleaner
- CCleaner Professional
Using these tools are very easy. You just have to click on the “Scan” button to start the scanning of your system, and it will clean your PC and laptop in a few minutes.
You can even manually select what kind of files to avoid cleaning and also clear the junks of a specific drive that you have.
The problem is vague, and it can come from any part of your computer and sometimes the browser itself is creating the problem so there are two things you can do in that case.
Reset Chrome Browser
- Using your PC, open google chrome browser and click on the menu located on the right top corner.
- Now simply go to settings by clicking on it.
- You will see an option “Show Advanced Settings” on the bottom of the page. You have to click on it.
- Click on Reset Settings which is under the section “Reset Settings”.
- Another pop up will appear, you have click on ”Reset”.
Resetting your chrome browser will definitely solve the ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error in your chrome browser. But if you don’t want to take any risk then follow the next method.
Reinstall Chrome Browser
First, you need to uninstall your google chrome browser.
- Press Windows Key + R key to open up the Run commander.
- Type “aapwiz.cpl” in the run commander and press enter.
- Now program and Features windows will open, just select chrome and click on “Uninstall”.
Now that Google Chrome is uninstalled, you can download and install the latest version of google chrome browser which has great advance features with security fixes.
Wrapping it up:
Now if you still having the problem then it is better to call your internet service provider to give you the assistance. With all the methods and guides that I have in this article will solve the problem for you.
So if your friend is facing the same ERR_SSL_Version_or_CIPHER_Mismatch error then recommend this guide to them so that they can have a great internet experience without any error. Also, if you have any confusion with any of the method mentioned above, please feel free to contact us via the comments section.